Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Friday, December 4, 2015

My Journey, continued

Looking back....
As we grow older, we tend to look back on the days of our youth.
Some of us long for those days when we were young, strong and healthy to be returned to us.
Not me.
For the days of my youth were wasted, by attachment to sin. It seems to me that when I was a child, the days were mostly bright and full of promise. Then sin crept in, and even at a young age I was attracted to carnal pleasure, self indulgence, pride, .... it  took away the brightness and the light and brought in darkness.
As I age, my journey begins to look like climbing through a fog back towards the light.
I am given the grace of repentance and a firm purpose of amendment. That is what is bringing the light back into my life.
I often think of my guardian angel, and send him a prayer of thanks every day for bringing me back to God. I have a long way to go, and a short time to get there, as the song says. But I have a goal- heaven; and a plan- prayer, repentance, penance, submission to the will of God. One day, the light will be all that I see.
Here is a prayer from the Raccolta:
My Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, I humbly beseech The to scatter the darkness of my mind, and to give me lively faith, firm hope and burning love. Grant, O my God, that I may know Thee well and may do all things in Thy light and in conformity to Thy holy will. Amen.

2 comments:

kam said...

Beautiful!

Michael said...

Shirley, thank you for sharing this with us. I know I feel the same way sometimes, and this is a comforting reminder of our goal.

I also wanted to thank you for the kind words you left on my blog. You are one of the few Catholic blogs that I read as well - your posts are so real and they really help me on my journey.

God Bless you.