Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Love's turn

A while ago I did a post on evil, and this one is about love.
When we are little children, love is easy- it is what ever makes you feel good; a meal, a cuddle, a new toy, a parent's encouragement and approval.
As we grow to the teenage years, we think of love as whatever makes us feel special, and set apart from others as we search for our place in life, our identity. And of course, this can often lead us astray.
As young adults love is usually centred around our relationship with another person, and hopefully leads to marriage and families.
And as we grow old, and find that love is no longer about passion, and self, that's when we turn to the love that endures time: the love of God.
People often wonder what old people have left to live for, when all their friends and family have drifted away, when they are no longer useful in society or are infirm and need help to live.
For me, as I age, I know that what I have to live for is to seek true love, to feel God's love for me and in turn pass that love on to others. Love is eternal in that God is love, and to enter in to that love should be our goal; to spend eternity surrounded by pure love.
How do we get there?
How do we shed the shackles that keep us bound to all that keeps us from God? Our daily lives, filled with trials and tribulations, with concerns and issues; how can we use that to increase in love?
By making each thing we say, do think and feel an offering to Him in reparation and repentance for everything we have done that drew us away from God. By trying to remember the Holy Presence of God all day and night, for to think of Him is to love Him and He returns our love a hundredfold.
Do all for the love of God, especially the things that are the hardest to do. Converse with Him, in both vocal and silent prayer. Jesus, I trust in You! Jesus, I love You! Increase Your love in me O Lord, that I may love You as much as I am able, and then do with me what Thou will.

2 comments:

Marilena Fenn said...

Wonderful post. You hit the nail right on the head about love through life. I often forget how much God loves us all.I forget when I am suffering, ans when harsh times come my way through tribulations, my marriage at times, and dealing with people who are mean, and only have hurtful things to say to me.

Its a good reminder, and you're a wonderful mentor.

Michael said...

Thank you for this post Shirley. I really struggle to remember to offer up every part of my day to Him. It is something I need to work on this Lenten season. God Bless you.