Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Journey, continued: Making prayer a habit


"Few souls understand what God would accomplish in them if they were to abandon themselves unreservedly to Him and if they were to allow His grace to mold them accordingly."

-- St. Ignatius Loyola

But how do we do that? As it says in the Bible, pray unceasingly. To pray is to be conscious of the Presence of God, after all in prayer we are talking to Him, in praise and petition and thanksgiving.
That being said, how does the average person come about a life of prayer? Sure, we go to Mass, and pray the Rosary every day (some of us) and we thank Him in the morning and evening. But as for me, I need little reminders throughout  the day, to pray or to offer up what I'm doing for His greater Glory.
Here are some of the things I use to help me do that- simple things that are daily occurrences.
~First, when I have pain, I ask that it be for penance for my sins.
~When I hear the siren of an ambulance or police car, I pray 3 Hail Mary's for the people involved.
~When I pass a roadside cross, I pray the requiem prayer for the person who died there.
~Whenever I look at the clock and the numbers are all the same, eg. 5:55 or 12:12 etc., I pray for the grace of final perseverance for the souls in their death agony at that moment. (And you'd be surprised how this develops into the ability to look at the clock at just that perfect moment, as though souls are crying out for your prayer).
~In the 3 o'clock hour, AM and PM, I pray the chaplet of Divine Mercy for the dying and certain souls.
~When I pass a Catholic Church, even if it is closed down and abandoned, I make the sign of the Cross to honour Jesus.
 I know that there are many more ways to remember to pray, such as the Angelus at 6, 12 and 6, but I  can never seem to remember to do that one. I would love to hear suggestions from my readers on little ways of prayer.

3 comments:

kam said...

For me, just to try to keep myself in continual conversation with either Jesus, or His Mother, or St Francis or with God Himself. Distractions occur, to be sure, constantly, but one must try all the more work through these distractions, especially when one is at work, which is usually a place of pure secularism. Thanks for your post.

Michele said...

mom was a perfect example of constant prayer. iam no where near her example. but, i do pray quite a bit everyday. not nearly as much as i should, and can! i think we all could do with more prayer time in our lives.

wish i was as diligent as mom was though!

Michael said...

Thank you so much for posting these! Great ideas for us to use.

God Bless you.