Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Holy

Let's think for a moment about the meaning of holy. Here's how Websters defines it:

exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
and also:
having a divine quality 
and divine being defined as :
of, relating to, or proceeding directly from God 
 Which brings me to the subject I've been thinking of for a while now, the Holy Cross. My parish is called Holy Cross. Lately, I've been dealing with a lot of people who are suffering in one way or another; some with disease, some with death of a family member, some with temporal affairs gone awry, and it brings to mind the Bible passage :
And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." (Luke 9:23)
This is also found in Mark 8:34 and  Matthew 16: 24.
So many people don't get the connection between suffering and holiness. I am sure you have heard someone say, "if God is so good, why does he allow suffering?" as if it is our right to go through life without suffering. We have only to look at the Cross to realize that it is not a right, that the precedent was set for us by our Savior.  If we link our suffering, the Cross that is our particular Cross to bear, with the suffering of Jesus, it becomes a Holy Cross instead of a crushing burden. It becomes the way of salvation for us.
When we see the suffering of innocents, this becomes harder to understand. I can only think of them as victim souls, who pay the price for the great iniquities of the world. The Church teaches that God allows suffering that good may come from it. We may not understand it, and it may not happen in our lifetime. There are as many opinions on this subject as there are churches, and I'm no theologian, so I will leave it to wiser heads than mine to discourse on this subject. But I do think that heaven has many souls who were innocent sufferers on this earth. I also think that the Cross they bore was a Holy one.
When we have a Cross to bear, whether it be illness, poverty, or pain, we can make it a Holy Cross, or we can revile it and curse it- either way, what we do with it is our choice, and it is a choice that can lead to eternal holiness or eternal cursedness. God also gave us free will.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Amen. excellent post! God gave me a pretty large load to bear in my life, and He continues to do so. I will see my Cross as holy. for it must be with all the trials i continue to have, and will have. Father told me that i will suffer even more in my life. God is not done with me. I believe that is true. He is most certainly not done with me. For when He is, He will call me, and judge me, and I do not want to be found in mortal sin. i want my cross to count for something, and i believe it does for the suffering is intense most of the time, not just physical suffering, but mental as well. each time i bear it, it is all for Jesus. not for me. for Him. all for Him. i hope to attain eternal life. and if God choses to put a heavy cross on my shoulders, so be it. i accept it in gratitude.