Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Divine Mercy Chaplet for the sick and dying

Did you know that there is an Apostolic Blessing given, (courtesy of Blessed JP II ) for those who, during Adoration and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for the sick and for those throughout the world will be dying in that hour?
I have prayed this Chaplet at the bedside of the dying, and also have asked my guardian angel to take this prayer to the bedside of the dying. Our Lord Jesus said to Sister Faustina, (Diary, 1777)

"Pray as much as you can for the dying. By your entreaties, obtain for them trust in My mercy, because they have most need of trust, and have it the least. Be assured that the grace of eternal salvation for certain souls in their final moment depends on your prayer. You know the whole abyss of My mercy, so draw upon it for yourself and especially for poor sinners. Sooner would heaven and earth turn into nothingness than would My mercy not embrace a trusting soul."


Jesus also said to Sr. Faustina,  (Diary, 1541)
"...when they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge, but as the merciful Savior."


The reason that I trust in my guardian angel to carry the prayer to the bedside of someone who is dying, comes from this writing from Sr. Faustina: (Diary, 835)
"It sometimes happens that the dying person is in the second or third building away, yet for the spirit space does not exist. It sometimes happens that I know about a death occurring several hundred kilometers away. this has happened several times with regard to my family and relatives and also sisters in religion, and even souls whom I have not known during their lifetime."


Of course, I am not privileged like this saint to know when people are dying, but nonetheless, I pray for the souls of the dying, whoever they may be at that moment. What greater gift can we give a soul, than to pray for them so that they may be granted the grace of eternity in heaven? Jesus commanded us to "love one another as I have loved you " (John, 13:34). He wants souls to be with Him in heaven;  and when you love someone you want the best for them- in this case, heaven for all eternity.
At the bottom of the picture of the Divine Mercy it reads, "Jesus, I trust in You". For many of us, this trust is the hardest thing, and more so when we are dying and our lifetime of sin confronts us; and so our prayer of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for the dying is the greatest grace they can receive.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Thank you for reminding me to pray for the dying. I really enjoyed reading the quotes from St Faustina.

God Bless you.