Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TLM versus Novus Ordo- a comparison

After a week of attending the TLM thanks to a visiting priest in our parish, I am not looking forward to having to go back to the NO Mass. Think of it this way; the TLM is like a gourmet meal after a steady diet of white bread. The prayers are so much more meaningful, and I really appreciate the priest facing away from us; it really allows you to see that he is offering our prayers and petitions up to God whereas in the NO it seems that the priest is looking for the approval of the congregation.

Compare the Lavabo prayer in the TLM with the washing of the hands prayer in the NO in which the priest says "Lord, wash away my iniquity and cleanse me of my sins."
In the TLM the priest silently prays:
 "I will wash my hands among the innocent and will compass Thine altar, O Lord.
That I may hear the voice of praise, and tell of all Thy wondrous works.
I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of Thy house, and the place where Thy glory dwelleth.
Take not away my soul, O God, with the wicked; nor my life with men of blood.
In whose hands are iniquities: their right hand is filled with gifts.
But as for me, I have walked in my innocence; redeem me and have mercy on me.
My foot hath stood in the right way; in the churches I will bless Thee, O Lord.

I find that the prayers place me at the altar praying with the priest, not sitting back and watching the priest presenting a performance to us as an audience. The TLM priest is leading us in prayer and petition. If you want to go somewhere with someone, you walk beside them, facing the same way as them, step by step you journey together. If you turn and face them, they stop walking and just look at you. They don't focus on the destination.
I know and respect that both forms of the Mass do the same thing , but only the TLM has moved me to tears with the sense of the sacred that it inspires in me.

2 comments:

Michele said...

that is exactly why i prefer the TLM over the NO anyday. precsiely why iam a traditional Catholic and always will be.

Owen said...

I am privileged to have a Latin Mass in our own parish. I am blessed to have had my whole family convert to the Faith from protestantism five years ago. However, my DW is not ready for the TLM. I must be patient. We attend the most solemn N.O. mass in the city. It's the best I can hope for right now.