Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Journey, continued

"Jesus came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her and she began to serve them."
Sometimes there is a line in the Gospel reading that really packs a wallop. Like this one, for example. This is about Simon Peter's mother in law, who was ill, and cured by Jesus. As with so many things in Catholicism, this passage has great depth of meaning. At face value, Jesus' healing touch  cures her, so that she can get up and feel well enough to go about her duties, cooking a meal. Let's look at it in the light of our own lives.

"Jesus came" ...  We can start by allowing Jesus to come to us; in our homes, in our hearts.  If we are ill, and can't go about our daily life as we used to, or if we are spiritually dry and no longer attend Mass or pray, we can open our "doors" and let Him in. We can turn to Him. He can't help us if we don't allow Him to; ask and you shall receive. In His mercy, He will come to those who have not hardened their hearts against Him.
..."and took her by the hand"... He reaches out to us; it takes trust and faith to put our hand, our lives, into His hands. Whenever I think of this line, I imagine the joy and relief of holding on to those precious nail-scarred hands, knowing that it would never be Him that would let go.
..."and lifted her up"... He can take us beyond the realm of our misery, He can give us the grace we need to  either overcome our illness of mind or body, or to recognize it as a grace in that it becomes a share in His suffering for us.
"Then the fever left her"... Our attachment to sin leaves us when we allow Jesus into our life. Darkness flees from light, and our willingness to turn to the healing touch of Jesus loosens the grip of evil in our lives.
..."and she began to serve them."  When we receive a gift, we give thanks. We can all do something to return the grace we have received; for some it is praying and doing penance; for others it may be grander things, but all of us are called to serve God. Note that she served them right away; she arose and prepared a meal, did not keep them waiting. Don't keep God waiting for your thanks and praise; throughout the day and even in the night you can offer Him your thanks. Serving God is to humble yourself, and the reward is heaven.

1 comment:

Michele said...

really good post shirley. i have had spiritual dry times in my life, mainly because of the extensive suffering i have physically. rather than draw close to God, i just didn't pray because i figured in my own mind that He was not answering my prayers, so at that time, I just stopped praying about my health and had the attitude that if God wanted to heal me, He would and my prayers wont influence His decision one way or another. so yeah, i admit it. I had really dry spiritualness. definitely. i still do on the odd occasion. perhaps iam just used to the suffering now and even forget to offer it up because its a part of my life. i don't know. i know one thing and this has never changed, i have and always will love Jesus first and foremost in my life. my journey has been a really difficult one. it really got harder with the loss of mom. you'd think that would have made my journey to Jesus alot easier, but the loss of mom really packed a wallop in my life spiritually because i always went to mom with my sufferings and asked her to pray for me, i know she is now as she always had in her earthly life, but i guess what iam trying to say here is her loss affected me in the way that i can't hear her anymore and listen to her advice like she used to give me in the most darkest times of my life. i try to apply what she taught me, but since she is no longer here, it really becomes easy for me to forget her advice and apply it to my own life like i did when she was alive. this post really made me think. i need to make some changes and perhaps even write down moms advice when iam suffering or even when i feel spiritually dry.