Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

St. Theresa of Avila, pray for me!


October 15 is the feast day of my patron saint, Theresa of Avila. I was very young when I chose her, I think I was only 7 when I was confirmed. My older sister had chosen St. Therese Liseaux, and I wanted to be just like my sister, so mom told me that there was another St Theresa that I could choose- so of course I did! In retrospect, this saint has been a good patron for me. Through her, I have a devotion to St. Joseph, and the brown scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel never leaves me for a moment. I read her biography, but have yet to read The Interior Castle. I love how she would take on rather daunting tasks and trust in God and the intersession of St. Joseph, and be successful. I would like to share with you a little prayer of hers:

A Love Song
Majestic Sovereign, timeless Wisdom,
Your kindness melts my hard, cold soul.
Handsome lover, selfless giver,
Your beauty fills my dull, sad eyes.
I am Yours, You made me.
I am Yours, You called me.
I am Yours, You saved me.
I am Yours, You loved me.

I will never leave Your presence.
Give me death, give me life.
Give me sickness, give me health.
Give me honour, give me shame.
Give me weakness, give me strength.
I will have whatever You give.
Amen.

I am blessed to have such a powerful Saint and Doctor of the Church in my corner!

2 comments:

Michele said...

i myself have a devotion to saint therese of lisiuex. as you know, her statue smiled at me in church more than once:) i smelt flowers of the most prety scent when there was none to smell. sometimes i feel her presence comforting me when i go to sleep at night.

Michael said...

You were wise even at an early age, huh? ;)

God Bless!