Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Attachment to sin

The main thing that keeps us from advancing in our spiritual life is our attachment to sin.
I have a mental image I've been meditating on for a while now. It's my soul, being dragged from raging waters by my guardian angel and the Holy Spirit, while from the water are tentacles of evil (representing my sins) reaching to ensnare me. I may have to make this the subject of my first Catholic painting.
Water so often represents the Spirit, as in Baptism, and Holy Water. So in this image, the water has become a repository of sin, a place where sin has entered and is no longer pure as it was at Baptism.
As I enter into Lent, I hope to identify all the causes of sin in my life, and cut loose the tentacles that try to ensnare my soul, and to look to the Holy Spirit and the protection and guidance of my Guardian Angel on my journey.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, that was great. Good to think on.
Cindy

Marilena said...

Good post Shirley. Good post!

Tom in Vegas said...

Very true, Shirley. Our attachment to sin is a great obstacle to overcome in our spiritual journey. It's something individuals more holy than me have spoken or written about on previous occasions. The operative word here, of course, is "attachment." Which means we are holding on to it, rather than it holding on to us.

A blessed Lent to you and to your husband:0)