Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Praying for those who have no one

I was listening to Mother Angelica this morning on my way to Mass. Something she said hit me like a ton of bricks: we are to pray for those who have no one to pray for them. We all have a long list of those who we pray for regularly, and people ask us to pray for them. And I often include in my Rosary intentions, "those who have no one to pray for them". But what hit me today was that for those who are taking the fast train to Hell, and who have no religious friends; who will pray for them on a regular basis? Without a lot of prayer in their behalf, many people won't have a chance at salvation, especially those who have no religious education or influence in their lives. Oh sure, they can see the images of the Crucifix, and see folks going to church, but it's like a closed book to them. They don't know what it's all about. They have no understanding. Without our prayers, they may well go on their merry way to perdition, never knowing that there is another way of living. Then there are those who are knowingly shutting God out of their lives, who have deliberately shunned learning about their faith, those who have fallen away, and got lost in the world. They surround themselves with like-minded people; there is no one among them to pray for them.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to take this personally, to actually think of the condition of the unfortunate ones who have no prayerful support in their lives. I want to place them beneath the Mantle of Our Lady, and within the Sacred Heart of Our Lord. There are so many ! I think of the lonely elderly, the abandoned children, widows, prisoners, street people, drug addicts, and so many others. Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers.....
If anyone can recommend any particular prayers for this purpose, I would love it if you'd leave me a comment with the prayer.

No comments: