Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pray always

For some time now, when I say my night prayers, I have been praying to the Holy Spirit to guide me in my dreams so that even in my sleep I may be doing God's will and increasing His glory. I believe that this prayer is bearing fruit, for example, if I dream of someone drowning, like I did last night, I wake up and pray for the souls of all who will die by drowning this day and say 3 Hail Marys for the soul of that particular person of whom I was dreaming.
We are told to pray unceasingly, and so even during the night, our waking moments can be spent wisely by praying.
It is so easy for our minds to become cluttered with the debris of daily life. Prayer is my choice of clearing away all the trash that inundates us, and at the advice of my Confessor, I am currently reading Introduction to the devout Life by St. Francis De Sales. My goal is to become proficient at mental prayer, as was my patron Saint, Teresa of Avila. St. Alphonsus Ligouri writes, "It also helps us very much to obtain divine grace if we have recourse to the intersession of the saints, for they have great power with God, especially for the benefit of those who are their special clients."
And so I have confidence that St Teresa will aid me in my goals, and help me in my journey of attaining salvation.

2 comments:

Marilena said...

i know when i have a terrifying dream that i say 3 hail mary's! but praying for others no matter what the situation is always a good thing. and from a waking dream it is also a good thing.

Michael said...

What an inspiring post! I never thought to react to dreams that way. Thanks for sharing. St Paul tells us to pray without ceasing and I think he would be proud of your efforts!