Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Patron Saint


Today is the feast day of my patron saint, Teresa of Avila. I wish I could say that I knew a lot about her, but there are only a few things I have learned. She was a Carmelite., a Doctor of the Church, devoted to St. Joseph, a contemporary of St. John of the Cross and St. Peter of Alcantra, and developed a method of mental prayer. I have read a book by William Thomas Walsh about her; she was certainly outspoken and not afraid to stand up to authority figures. I am blessed to have her on my side! I pray often to her, usually at the conclusion of my daily rosary I ask her to pray for me. Do you pray to your patron saint? What influence has your patron saint had on you? I firmly believe that my growing devotion to St. Joseph is all her doing! Her two books, The Way of Perfection, and The Interior Castle, are on my wish list of books to read.

3 comments:

Marilena said...

hmmm.. potential Christmas gift:)

Gina said...

I'm about half way through Interior Castle--I tried reading it years ago, but had to set it aside for personal reasons. Recently a few friends of mine picked it up again, so I dusted it off and started it over again. I shouldn't have waited so long to get back into it again. It is changing my life...for the better.

Shirley said...

Gina, I find that if we are not ready for a certain book, we are led to others. I tried reading St Thomas Aquinas Shorter Summa, and had to put it down and move to something else. And recently while reading the Glories of Mary, I was inspired to put it on hold and read a book on St. Joseph, as if Our Lady was directing me to learn more about him so that I could understand more about her.