Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Prayer after Confession

After you go to Confession, do you just say your allotted penance, or do you give thanks for the great grace you have just received?
Non Catholics think that Catholics are a bunch of hypocrites that go to Confession and then go right out and sin again. They don't understand the great grace we receive in this holy Sacrament. I always find it overwhelming to confess, even if it's just some venial sin, because I know that I am receiving God's Mercy and forgiveness, and that even someone as little and insignificant as I am can feel the healing power of God's love, just for me, there in the confessional; can know that through the priest He hears our cry of contrition and our need for forgiveness and guidance. If I fall into sin again, it is not because I know that I can go to Confession and be forgiven, but it's only because of my human weakness that I fall again. I detest sin, which draws me away from God; I strive to remember Him every moment of the day, and to live my faith.
My favourite little prayer book, the Purgatorian Manual, has this prayer for after Confession, that I'd like to share with you:
O God and Father of Heaven, prostrate on my knees before Thee,
I render Thee thanks for the great grace Thou hast granted me without any merit of mine.
I now again possess Thy grace and favour. Through the holy sacrament of Penance, in the name of Jesus, all my sins have been forgiven. I am again become a child of God, through Jesus Christ, converted from the state of sin to the state of grace.
Praise and thanks be to Thee O God, for the sweet consolation I now experience within myself! Strengthen me that I may sin no more, and never again lose this consolation and peace of conscience, and may shun the occasion of sin.
Most Holy Virgin Mary, assist me. Thou art the Mother of Perseverance, and my hope is in thee.
My Queen! My Mother! I give myself entirely to thee, and to show my devotion to thee, I consecrate to thee this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being, without reserve. Wherefore, good Mother, as I am thine own, keep me, guard me, as thy property and possession.
Hail Mary, etc.

2 comments:

Marilena said...

shirley, this is lovely. when i sin i can't wait to go to confession! iam eager to confess my sins and when i do, i feel very light of heart, soul, and mind. this prayer is very nice. i love it. i just said it as well:)

paramedicgirl said...

Those people who think that Catholics go Church on Sunday and sin the rest of the week need to bring to mind that God has numbered our sins. This means that yes, God has allowed a maximum number of sins for each person, and after that, He will allow no more. Catholics don't take that lightly. Least not the educated ones, anyways.