Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Journey, Continued

Many people make New Years resolutions, some people just make goals for the upcoming year; to others it's just another day. I like to look back on the year, think about what I can improve on, and set goals for myself. So after some reflection and prayer, I have decided that this year I will focus on penance and fasting. Whoa! you might say; why so severe? Well, the older I get, the more I see the moral degradation of this world, reflect on the errors of my past that I may need to atone for temporally, and realise that my penance and fasting can help the souls of others. Now, I am rather a self indulgent creature, so this is going to take some work on my behalf. I have taken St. Joseph as my patron saint for the year, and hope to follow his perfect obedience to the inspirations of grace. This does not mean that I am going to go about all woeful and sad, but rather that I intend to be as joyful as possible, for the end that I am working towards, my journey through life, is the salvation of my soul. Who would not go joyfully along the path that leads to heaven?
Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light. Matthew 11.29-30

2 comments:

Marilena said...

good post shirley!!

Marilena said...

in thinking on the last year, my goal will be to learn patience and not be judgmental of others when they irritate me, and if i don't like what they are doing. so my goal is to learn that patience. Jesus said, the greater the sinner, the more right he has to God's mercy. so mercy is what i will be trying hard to remember when someone irritates me or hurts me. i will try to recall Christ's words, mercy. i will try to pray for them no matter how much they make me cranky. patience, and prayer, that is my goal.