Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Liturgy changes

At last there are going to be changes to the English translation of the Roman Missal that more closely reflect the old Mass. When I was a kid, these translations were in the Missal across from the Latin. I remember particularly the Mea Culpa and striking the breast. And how did they ever get "and also with you" out of Et cum spirit tu tuo? This is going to throw the music ministers for a loop; they will have to conform to a traditional Gloria instead of giving it their own personal spin. Hey! Does this mean no more Gloria! Gloria! (clap clap)? YAY!

Here is a glimpse at some of the changes being proposed:

By DEBORAH GYAPONG Canadian Catholic NewsOttawa

Most of the changes in the new Mass translation involve the priest's prayers. Here are some of the changes that will affect the congregation:
After the priest says, "The Lord be with you," the new response will be "And with your spirit," instead of "And also with you."
The present "I have sinned through my own fault in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do" in the first penitential rite will be replaced with "I have greatly sinned in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do, (and after striking their breast, they say) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault."
Latin origins
The Gloria's structure changes to more closely reflect the Latin original, for example:
Glory to God in the highest, and peace to his people on earth" will change to "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to people of good will.
Lord God, heavenly King, almighty God and Father, we worship you, we give you thanks, we praise you for your glory," will change to "We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you, we give you thanks for your great glory, Lord God, heavenly King, O God, almighty Father.
I believe
The Nicene Creed will begin with "I believe" instead of the present "We believe."
The Sanctus will begin: "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of hosts," replacing the present Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might."
After the priest says, "Let us give thanks to the Lord our God," the response will be "It is right and just." rather than "It is right to give him thanks and praise."
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has posted a PDF version of the new Mass liturgy translation at www.usccb.org/liturgy/missalformation/OrdoMissaeWhiteBook.pdf -->

10 comments:

paramedicgirl said...

Shirley, did you notice in that article you emailed me that ICEL is going to accept votes from the Canadian bishops on what they accept or reject from the new translations? God help us if ICEL will be revising what Rome has requested. Why can't we just have a group of obedient bishops who honour God and His Church through their obedience to the Holy Father? They are the reason Canada does not have a GIRM to follow. They are the reason Humanae Vitae was trashed and ignored. Just Google Tragedy in Winnipeg for that one.

Shirley said...

Hopefully our Canadian bishops will have learned their lesson and be humble and obedient to Rome.

Therese said...

I hope your bishops will be obedient too. The Winnipeg Statement was horrible.

Marilena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smiley said...

Is this going to be voted on or will it be implemented?
I think it would be lovely to have these changes implemented. Love the Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea maxima culpa

Shirley said...

Smiley, here is a link that should clarify things for you:
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0803857.htm

Smiley said...

However they keep saying USA. Does this apply only to USA or to the universal church?

Marilena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley said...

Smiley, when articles are written in the US they tend to forget the rest of the English speaking world:0) The changes are for all Masses said in English. I think the only differences will relate to feast days for saints that are important to individual countries.

Smiley said...

The reason i ask about the English speaking world is because I am from India and we have English mass there as well. I believe that these changes should apply to the universal English church as they add so much more meaning to the Liturgy.
I so do hope that the bishops will adopt this.