Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Journey, Continued


The biggest drawback to living a rural life is that I am unable to go to weekday Mass. The grace of assisting at Mass is so great that I would go every day if I was able. Yesterday, I had to go to the city, so I made sure that I timed it so that I could go to Mass, and celebrate the Queenship of Mary. It is said that every Mass you hear will go with you to judgement and plead for your pardon, and that it wins for you a higher degree of glory in heaven, and that it is the most powerful atonement for your sins. Now, I have a lot of sins to atone for, as I was away from the church for about 35 years, so I think that I need to hear a lot of Masses! Many Catholics don't attend weekday Mass because of their jobs. If it were possible for you to attend an early Mass before going to work, would you go? I made sure that at my new job, I requested that I don't work on Saturday, which is the only day that the priest comes to say Mass in our little town. I would not take a job that didn't allow me to go to Mass; the state of my eternal soul is much more important than my temporal well-being on earth.

31 Be not solicitous therefore, saying, What shall we eat: or what shall we drink, or wherewith shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the heathens seek. For your Father knoweth that you have need of all these things. 33 Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore solicitous for tomorrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew Chapter 6

Leave your temporal affairs in God's care; do what is right and according to the Holy Will of God. Seek your reward in the Kingdom of Heaven, not on earth.

5 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

When I used to work grave yard, right after I left work, I would show up at Church to help out with miscellaneous projects.

LOVED IT. But it got to be a little too much since i was practically spending my weekends volunteering at about three different churches as well.

BTW, when you get a chance, stop by my blog. Or send Peppy:0)

Therese said...

I take the children to week day mass as much as I can. We usually have mass on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning and on MOnday and Friday evening. I want to take the children as much as I can why they are still under my influence.

Shirley said...

Good mom, Therese! Wait til you get your book; maybe you can read them a chapter a day, and then they'll be eager to go to church.

Shirley said...

Tom, volunteering for projects at churchs, in itself a very worthwile cause, does not merit the grace that attending even one Mass does.

paramedicgirl said...

So far I have been fortunate, or should I say blessed, that I have not missed a Sunday Mass due to my job. (I have prayed to the Blessed Virgin to arrange things so that I can always go to Mass). I work 12 hour shifts, and sometimes I have to go to early Mass after an overnight shift, and sometimes I have to go to an evening Mass after a 12 hour day shift, but so far it has worked out. I dread the thought of missing Mass because of work. I pray it never happens.