Life is a journey; the choices you make now will determine your eternal destination.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

On Spiritual Reading

Saints and spiritual directors always advise us to do some spiritual reading every day. I have been trying to do this, even if it is only for a few minutes; even reading one psalm and reflecting on it, or a chapter from one of the books I have on the go. My sister over at Salve Regina lent me a book that I am just starting, by Fr. Martin von Cochem, titled The Incredible Catholic Mass. I am really looking forward to this one, as I am sure it will lead to a greater reverence and understanding of this most holy Sacrifice. Not that I don't already revere the Mass; but I am always seeking ways to deepen my understanding of, and love for, God.
Every chapter or booklet I read seems to have one sentence that jumps out at me and gives me that Aha! moment, like this one from Paul Whitcomb's The Catholic Church Has The Answer:
"My blessed Catholic faith fills my soul with a peace and sense of security I had never before thought possible." This is exactly what I was looking for when I started my journey back to the Church. My soul was restless, I knew that I needed to change, but I had no direction. That peace and security which our faith gives is what my soul was craving. It is not, however, something I take for granted as a just reward for returning to the faith of my childhood; it is something that I hold precious and a goal to constantly work towards, so that the snares of the devil will not strip it from me.
That, my friends, is why the saints tell us to read spiritual books every day- so that we don't become complaisant in our faith, taking for granted that we will continue to receive grace. Grace is an earned priveledge, and we must work every day to remain in it. And spiritual reading, if you allow it to, keeps our souls on the path of peace, security, and love of God.

2 comments:

Marilena said...

as i mentioned to you earlier, iam enjoying a book i bought called 9 days of novena for holy communion. when iam done with it, i will mail it to you. spiritual reading keeps your mind on the important things in life, and that is God and His True Church, the Catholic Church, and living the best spiritual life you can. and praying also is a benefit to souls, and our souls as well.

paramedicgirl said...

That is a very good post, Shirley! You will love the book, The Incredible Catholic Mass. It is right up there with the books of St. Alphonsus.